Monday, June 27, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE POST - TUNA MELTS - SERVES 2


I was looking for a nice light lunch and found the recipe for the Tuna Melts here.  

Tuna Melts  - 2 servings

1 large tomato, about 6-1/2 ounces before trimming
2 ozs. Cheddar or American cheese, shredded
1 recipe of tuna fish salad - you will find that recipe below this one.

Slice the stem and bottom ends off the tomato, then cut into 4 thick slices.  Place the tomato slices on a foil-lined baking sheet.  

Mound enough tuna salad onto each tomato slice to suit your taste, and top each with 1/4 cup of the cheese.  

Broil until the cheese melts and is slightly golden.

The host of the above website used a 3 inch diameter tomato, about the size of a baseball.

Calories per serving: 313
You can get more nutritional information at the website.



Tuna Salad  -  makes 4 to 8 servings

This recipe was found here.

12 ozs. canned tuna, drained
4 eggs, hard-boiled and coarsely chopped
1/4 sugar-free sweet pickle relish (I used regular)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chives (I used thinly sliced green onion)
Salt and Pepper to taste


Not to be frozen

Per 1/4 of the recipe has 264 calories (once again, you can find more nutritional information on their website link above).



What did I think?  I was surprised how much I enjoyed this meal.  

I didn't want to make such a big batch of tuna salad, so I halved the recipe and there was more than enough for another meal.  I will add a bed of lettuce to that one, or put it on a slice of my favorite bread and have an open-faced sandwich.

The only larger sized tomato I could find was what we call a beefsteak tomato.  I cut the slice I needed for my lunch, and used the rest in a salad at dinnertime.

I made my hard-boiled eggs for the tuna salad earlier in the morning, and then I forgot to add them.  It didn't spoil the outcome as it tasted just as great.  I also used the hard boiled eggs for my salad that evening.

I used a sharp Cheddar cheese.

There was one packet of chives when I went to the store and it didn't look very good, so I used thinly sliced green onions instead. 

I also didn't bother with the sugar-free pickle relish but used the regular I already had in the fridge.





15 comments:

  1. I have to be honest in saying that I don't like tuna, but I love salmon. However, that having been said, this does look delicious and I would be very willing to try it. Thanks so much for sharing, Denise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, and so good for you! It has a bit of everything...protein, vegetable, and cheese! I have copied it and ma going to print it out. Fast and good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only had to look at the photograph to feel hungry. It has been a long time since I saw large tomatoes in the shops but perhaps I haven't looked closely enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks truly divine to me...and also really easy to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Denise, the tuna melt on the tomato looks delicious. I would love this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a meal, though I have an aversion to sea food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like tuna - this looks a great recipe idea Denise, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea of the thick slice of beefsteak tomato as the base instead of bread. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reminding ne of this. My dughter was crazy about tuna melts when she was in high school. I hadn't thought of them in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We make something quite similar to this and have it for lunch now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!